Tuesday, August 7, 2007

ImPerfect World

My luck with this game is that when I began playing it, I had a veteran MMORPG player by my side and literally and virtually holding my hand.

This is a boon because I now see the dilemma of those who do not have the background and the on-hand consultant when playing Perfect World. It can get confusing. Its because of the very, very bad translations. The game obviously came from China, because the English translation sucks. Bigtime. I'm sure the Mandarin is impeccable.

If it wasn't for the fantastic graphics, friendly gameplay, intriguing quests, the company, and the free play, I would really be pissed off with the language in the NPC (non-player character) dialogue. But I kept an open mind as I promised my friend when I began this game, and well I sorta expected the bad grammar and faulty spelling, thus I wasn't that shocked.

So more often than not, after reading the Quest story and the instructions, I had to stop, look out the window and exclaim..."What?"
But after a while I got used to the bad english and got on with my gaming life. It got so that I actually understood the Quests pretty well by the time I got to the third village.

But one had to go through reversed directions (East became West in the intructions of one of the quests) and almost ending up in the middle of nowhere (wrong coordinates for an NPC).

There are a lot of imperfections in the game. This is what disturbs me while I'm having all this fun. What if the reason I'm getting mugged by this little monster is because of a stray zero in its hit points counter? What if I am not getting any XP (experience) points for this? What if my name means "pwned" in the international server? What if?

But that's the beauty of an online game. It's online. So? So it can update and patch and fix itself everytime before you play. Eventually all the bugs will get ironed out in time and the game will only get better, and harder and tougher. That is the way of the online world. Everything will be patched. Just shut up and play.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
template by free-web-template.blogspot.com