Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Genesis


So there I was with my itchy finger on the itchy trigger waiting to begin playing. So after I created my account with Level Up and registering in for Perfect World, I finally hop to it. Unfortunately, I forgot one little thing, I still had to make a character.

Now don't think that this was easy thing. It's a choice between three races with two character classes or Role as they are called each, Plus gender preference for two of the three races. That amounts to roughly a choice between ten character types. That's not easy for someone who is as obsessive compulsive as me.

Now don't say that that due to gender preference the choice is cut down to one in five. Ask any Tomb Raider player and they will tell you it is not so. In gaming, its not what your gender is that decides which gender you play. Its what you like to see.

That done, I was surprised to find out that my troubles have only begun. It seems I still had to figure out how the character looked. There were set looks and faces, but I was not about to let pass the opportunity to use the 3D rendering engine to create a unique look for my character.

The immensity of the choices was pretty overwhelming, but was impressive, even for someone like me who plays a lot of SIMS2. The fields that could be manipulated on the 3D frame was a big plus.

Now I know that mathematically, the amount of character variations you can make are pretty nigh astronomical. But in-game, these little things are not that easy to see, as they are little. As with real life, differences in characters that are readily noticable are skin color, build and hair. As past animals that ability is hard wired into our optical senses.

But personally, I think that it is this feature which makes the game or could make it a little bit more appealing, the thought that, yes, I am unique, but still part of a larger social commune. Which some of you might know is the anachronism of being human. The need to be unique within a want to be common.

I chose to be a Wolfman, a Yao Shou. I made him look big and mean, but fluffy too. I like fluffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
template by free-web-template.blogspot.com